Monday, March 2, 2009

Good Ole Cole's is Back!

LinkCole's the home of the french dip sandwich on 6th and Grand in downtown LA is reopened. This old time joint that has probably been around since the 20's serves preprohibition era style cocktails, like Old Fashioned's and Rickey's (vodka, rum or gin, lime juice, simple syrup and club soda). (That's the drink I had.) For the ultimate experience, try hot chicken, lamb, pork, or roast beef sandwiches with your choice of cheese that you dip in au jus sauce. (I enjoyed the pork.) I was told it was the juiciest. As a side, I had Cole's Slaw. Note: they're not the inventors of Cole slaw. All was tasty. The service was great and in a cool nostalgic setting.
Truth be told, there's a small speakeasy-style secret small bar located in the back called The Varnish Bar, where the mixologists create classic cocktails as well. Check out the Thrillist blog.
FYI, there's some controversy on who invented the French dip, Phillipe's another LA landmark or Cole's. And don't get me started on what a dichotomy downtown LA is either. There's literally dozens of people "urban camping" ie; homeless, sleeping in tent-like structures a block from Cole's, which is actually on a nice block.

3 comments:

Heather Taylor said...

never been to Cole's. must try this ASAP. also love the speakeasy idea..

I am Leisure Man said...

I know! French Dip Sammies and Speakeasies! Count LM in!

ADubJ said...

I think the LM should conduct an unoffical poll of bartenders. How many will know how to make (or what is) an Old Fashioned or Rickey. What do you figure? 2 out of 10? I'm tired of telling my tender what's in my bev (vodka, soda, lemon). I need a name . . .

"Gimme a Teed on the rocks"