Sunday, January 24, 2010

Cuckoo for Coconut Chips



If you've every been to Haiku's Twin Falls Fruit Stand on the Hawaiian Isle of Maui, you may have noticed and / or enjoyed Coconut Chips. If you have not been there, odds are you have not enjoyed them, because it's the only place in the world to get them. I sent my girlfriend, Leisure Girl, on a wild goose chase all around the island looking for this delicious snack. "We scoured the island from ABC Stores to local farmers markets in pursuit of the chips. We became obsessed with finding these crack-like wonders and they didn't disappoint. I ended up getting the private number of the maker and owner the company Bananas and Coconuts from the concierge at the hotel," says LG.

LG tells me that they only sell these treats, consisting solely of toasted, then roasted shaved coconut and Hawaiian salt, at Twin Falls Fruit Stand on the road to Hana. Luckily, she brought back a few bags of the savory delights that taste oddly similar to bacon.

Tonight we enjoyed part of the last remaining bag in our possession, chopped up and sprinkled over vanilla frozen yogurt. Mahalo, Leisure Girl!

5 comments:

Victoria said...

I want to try to make them!

I am Leisure Man said...

Oh, good idea. You can get shaved coconut at Whole Foods. Question: how do you roast then toast or visa versa?

Victoria said...

Roasting in the oven and toasting in the pan :)

Unknown said...

OMG The road to Hana is amazing and this is one of the best treats along the way. I bought numerous bags but they never made it back to Chicago!

dottief said...

So - I bought a bag - I want more! I want to have a case sent to me here in Alaska - Do you still have the number?