Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Most Teed Tee


Perhaps I've been spending too much time at the 19th hole, but recently I learned about the 16th hole at the FBR Golf Tournament aka "the loudest hole in golf" at the TPC in Scottsdale AZ this weekend.  The tourney is being covered on The Golf Channel.  For those who don't know, it's basically a stadium surrounding the 166 yrd par 3 16th hole where fans cheer and yell and chant as if they were at a Football Game, a very rowdy football game.  PGA pros get booed by fans if the don't make the green too.
Are they trying to change up the sport a bit from the stuffy elitist image it sometimes has? Making it a bit more Happy Gilmore if you will?  I like the idea of untucking and loosening up the collared shirt a bit, but I feel we should still keep the focus on golf.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

And what about those crazy Australian Open fans? Just like golf, tennis players are used to silence or polite claps. Wonder how they deal...

I am Leisure Man said...

Those Australiain fans are crazy! I feel like Americans and Europeans would remain shirtless during tennis matches.